Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Montana Vacation

I lean forward eagerly in my seat. The car bounces over unfamiliar roads, towards the cabin we and our friends, the Hochstetlers, will call home for the next three days. It's been a month of knowing about it, a week of planning, two days of packing, and a whole day of driving. We're almost there now, and each of us are busy planning our extended weekend. Mom is excited to see the quaint little town, having heard much about the shops located there, and Dad is looking forward to the hot tub just outside our cabin. I am eagerly anticipating reading the pile of books I brought, and Abbi and I can scarcely wait to get out my camera and take pictures of the beautiful scenery. Karl is, of course, thrilled to get out of the car and start skiing with his friend, TJ. He hasn't stopped talking about it since we started planning this trip.

Each turn in the road brings us closer to our destination. Karl can hardly sit still; mom and I crane our necks to look at the scenery out the dirty windows, so different from the Minnesota plains we're used to. Finally, we enter town. Mom points out the different shops she remembers reading about to me as we drive through town. I take mental notes on the good photoshoot locations I spot. Dad tries to juggle the directions to the cabin, and Karl loudly inquires how soon TJ is going to get there and when they can get on the slopes.

The pine-covered mountains rise up in the behind the shops, giving the town a regal look. The ski trails make white ribbons flowing down a mountain of green. The sun is barely peeking over the top, and the sky is turning vibrant red, purple, and deep blue. Red Lodge, Montana: here we are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a TON of fun!!! I'm jealous because you actually had snow!!!

Inna said...

Um, wow. Gorgeous photos! Looks like you had an amaaaaazing time!!
Oh, and I love the new photo of you on the sidebar. :)